Thursday, August 14, 2008
The Red Moon
How many times in your life have you seen a red moon? I dare say that it will be a very rare event, at least for a Singaporean. But in Shanghai, it appears to be a norm. Everything that can be opposite to a normal Singapore life, is the norm here.
It is true. Red moons are not the only strange thing here. From the first day I landed in this huge city, everything is completely topsy turvy, ranging from the lefthand drive of the cars to the change of the spoken language. Food here is oily and salty. Healthy living does not appear to be the priority of the city people here. Neither is the act of public mannerism, order and hygiene. I am of course referring to their past-time of spitting.
If so, how can one young Singaporean live here?
Recall, that I am from a generation of Singaporean males that has been pampered from the day I was born. As such, we complained about serving the Army, the water we drink, the way our Government raises the taxes without even considering their significance. The culture shock, though expected was still unsettling. The first few days of Shanghai saw my friends and I crossing the road while looking in the wrong direction. The feeling of getting ripped off by every local here was abundant. This was not without reason. We all got conned at the Shanghai Science and Tech Museum for shirts and CDs.
Shanghai, after all these description seems like a horrid place to live in. The air stinks, the people are uncouth. I could go on and on about their bad points. And yet, I do not have any resentment. For all its bad points, Shanghai provides a very welcome break from the monotonous liftstyle of Singapore. Orderly = boring. Shanghai is chaotic but also exciting. The sights and sounds are so wild and new that one is both disgusted and awed. The food is different. But if you are willing to take the trouble to seek, you will definately be rewarded with some cheap exotic local fare around 10RMB, give or take a few bucks.
Beat that in Singapore. Understably, this is the trade-off for our economic progress: The almost unbearable high standard of living. That is the one thing I would not miss of Singapore.
I still have 5 months of living in this busy-as-a-bee city. I guess adaption is the key, so I have to enjoy my cheap food and clothes while it last before I return home to my family and loved one in that expensive sunny island.
Cheers!
It is true. Red moons are not the only strange thing here. From the first day I landed in this huge city, everything is completely topsy turvy, ranging from the lefthand drive of the cars to the change of the spoken language. Food here is oily and salty. Healthy living does not appear to be the priority of the city people here. Neither is the act of public mannerism, order and hygiene. I am of course referring to their past-time of spitting.
If so, how can one young Singaporean live here?
Recall, that I am from a generation of Singaporean males that has been pampered from the day I was born. As such, we complained about serving the Army, the water we drink, the way our Government raises the taxes without even considering their significance. The culture shock, though expected was still unsettling. The first few days of Shanghai saw my friends and I crossing the road while looking in the wrong direction. The feeling of getting ripped off by every local here was abundant. This was not without reason. We all got conned at the Shanghai Science and Tech Museum for shirts and CDs.
Shanghai, after all these description seems like a horrid place to live in. The air stinks, the people are uncouth. I could go on and on about their bad points. And yet, I do not have any resentment. For all its bad points, Shanghai provides a very welcome break from the monotonous liftstyle of Singapore. Orderly = boring. Shanghai is chaotic but also exciting. The sights and sounds are so wild and new that one is both disgusted and awed. The food is different. But if you are willing to take the trouble to seek, you will definately be rewarded with some cheap exotic local fare around 10RMB, give or take a few bucks.
Beat that in Singapore. Understably, this is the trade-off for our economic progress: The almost unbearable high standard of living. That is the one thing I would not miss of Singapore.
I still have 5 months of living in this busy-as-a-bee city. I guess adaption is the key, so I have to enjoy my cheap food and clothes while it last before I return home to my family and loved one in that expensive sunny island.
Cheers!
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]