Sunday, February 15, 2009
My little nephew is 1 month old. Finally and after much trials and tribulations. It was a big party sort of gathering where my sister's friends and family came. Jadelle was being totally spoilt and I really hope my sister and bro-in-law can take her into hand, 'Jason's mother' style. And it was also with a little regret that I brought Yiling along.
Don't get me wrong because there is no fault with her but rather, with me. I had often wondered how I can introduce her to my relatives, at least on the paternal side when I am already not close to them and there is the perpetual language barrier. I got chewed upon by my uncle today for speaking 'Hokkien' instead of my native 'Teochew'. And the fact that my extended family really pushes the limits of the word 'extended' didn't help. The both of us ended up feeling somewhat awkward.
And tired. Both of us had a life-force draining week last week with late nights and a stressful day. I flunked a quiz with flying colours and even had to drink tea with the prof to explain myself. Right now, I can't see why working ppl envy the life of a student. Yiling and I talked about it and realized that both lives, working adult and student carry with them their benefits and drawbacks. I was very happy during my IA because there will never be the nagging conscience at the back of my head to do school related work. Yet somehow, with human nature, we all tend to forget the drawbacks of that alternative life and crave the benefits.
My hell week life is not over yet as I still have 2 quiz, 2 lab reports and 1 graded assignment ahead. But I am looking forward to my recess week where I can finally take a break. I wish that I can have more quality time with Yiling. I do owe her that, something away from my duties as a fillial son to my family. And also for being away for 5 months. But as students, the drawbacks are making themselves very obvious right now, with her mock exams in a week and my heavy school load. They seem to be bent at forcing the two of us apart. Tough luck though...
(Btw, this son helped to unchoke a toilet bowl he never used at 2am in the morning.)
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]