Friday, June 12, 2009

 

The Irritant

At 24 years old this year, I never gave a thought to the age gap that might arise between myself and the people around me. 24 is like a magic number. I am neither too young nor too old, coming in comfortably inbetween the old and young.

And yet, this issue became apparent yesterday during work.

It was an unsual day to begin with as my partner was on his off, meaning I had to cover the entire work shift on my own. As such, someone came in from the main office in order for me to eat my lunch.

Of course, if you had experience eating lunch alone, you will understand that eating alone is a bore and no one will take longer than half an hour to get it done.

Someone however felt that it was her duty to tell me some things that she HAD to let me know before and after my lunch break. Some of our more colourful exchange is stated below which I felt will entertain readers. Do keep in mind that this is the first time I met her and that I do not know her at all.

1. First Meeting:

Someone: "Hi. (pause). Are you local?"

Me: "Huh? Ya...where did you think I am from?"

Someone: "I don't know...from your complexion I thought you were from China."

2. The Second Irritatant (a few minutes after the first)

Someone: "OH MY GOD.....Your job here is SO BORING!"

Me: "...then what do you do inside?"

Someone: "I do admin work inside, simple filing. The office is so quiet so I can't talk. SO BORING!"

Me: (isn't that equally or even more boring?!)

3. The Gloating:

Someone: "What's your pay like?"

Me: "$6.50/hr"

Someone: "OH MY GOD that's so low! I get paid $7 per hour! Why not get a better job?!"

Me: "I have been hunting for over a month."

Someone: "Get my agent la! "

Me: "okay...(pause) What did you study in poly?"

Someone: "Accounts."

Me: "Then why are you doing an admin job?"

Someone: "I don't know. The agent found this for me."

Me: "..."(Cos it is damn hard to find an ideal temp job now lah!)

4. After Lunch Tea:

(I was sipping a cup of hot tea which I brought back to the counter.)

Someone: "What are you drinking?"

Me: "Tea."

(I started to perspire a little from the hot drink)

Someone: "Why are you sweating?"

Me: (with a puzzled look) "I am drinking a hot drink. Of course I will sweat..."

Someone: "Oh my god...why don't you drink bubble tea!"

5. The Final Straw:

(I was playing Worms on my com when Someone sneaks up to the counter.)

Someone: "What are you doing?"

Me: (Out of politeness and without looking up) "I'm playing Worms."

Someone: "Wormmmmms? What's that?"

Me: "It is just a game for me to kill time."

Someone: "(Looks at the game) OH MY GOD you are really bored. Why not play this game *****?

Me: (wtf)

------------------------------------

Never had I felt so irritated by someone who, at 20 years old and less qualified than me, can ridicule me about everything possible from my appearance to my choices. The forceful accent and the 'omg' exclaimations every now and then did not help either. It left me in a foul mood for the rest of the day, foul enough for me to snap at my good friend for nothing and made me regret doing so.

She is only 4 years younger. But her ignorance and blatant disregard for the personal space of another person is disgusting. If that is youth at 20, I am thankful I grew out of it.

And for the last time...

我喝什么管你屁事!

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]