Wednesday, December 23, 2009

 

A Frosty Christmas by a toasty fire

It is yet the end of another year. In other countries, it will be marked by the winter season where temperatures plunge low enough for snow and ice to form. Unfortunately, this time of the year IN SINGAPORE means weather flucuations from the sunny to the stormy within hours.
To start off with the weather will be apt as one year ago, I was spending it in Shanghai where temperatures actually touched zero. Those were such good times I encouraged my friends to go for GIP Shanghai. The bond still lingers, even now as I found out today.
It was reported in the 10pm News that the train system in Shanghai broke down for 7 hours. If it were any other country, I would not even have bother to lift my head. Instead, I abandoned the gift which I was in the midst of wrapping and rushed to watch the short new clip.
It was later that I chatted with a friend of mine whom I convinced to go Shanghai and even take up residence in the same apartment I lived in. Eventually, the train incident came up and I realized the both of us had the same reaction to the news. Further into our chat, like how we should have gone for the immersion programme together. Then she suddenly tells me something which touched me.
She said she was lucky to have met me as a friend in year 2. If it was later, our paths would never have crossed and we would not have become the close friends we are...
I known 'Close' is a term that is vague in a friendship. In this friendship, 'close' is not what one might think.
We did not meet because we are in the same course (She is Mech Eng, I am from Chem Eng) so we do not see each other around school that often.
...BB is the friend of a friend.
...We met in hall while she was doing a project there even though she did not stay in school.
...During the examination study period, I studied with that friend who invited BB along. Essentially, our friendship started in Hall 12.
...Later on, I was unable to stay in the school hostels so we did not see each other around.
...Our contact is limited to Windows Messenger which is random, few and far between.
And yet, whenever we see each other around or talk online, it never felt like we drifted apart. For two people who simply bumped and crossed paths the way we did, we could have been strangers passing each other on the street. Yet, here we are.
So that's one of my friendship. And a rare one.
Perhaps it is the coming Christmas season, maybe it is the stress we are getting from our Final Year Projects that caused us to suddenly speak our hearts. Whatever the case is, it is nice to know there is at least one good friend out there.
Merry X'mas!

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]